A symbol for Bertinoro’s history and Romagna culture.

The Hospitality Column, also known as the ‘column of rings’, is a symbol of the ancient tradition of Bertinoro hospitality.
Its first mention dates back to the 14th canto of the Divine Comedy’s Purgatory
where Dante meets the judge Guido del Duca.
As a judge in Bertinoro from 1202 to 1218, together with his inseparable friend Arrigo Mainardi, he erected a column to put an end to disputes between the noble families of the time.
This allowed strangers, by tying up their horses, to become guests not only of the family but also of the entire community, enjoying a pleasant atmosphere of hospitality.
Removed due to renovation work on the square, the Column of Rings was returned to its place on 5 September 1926 with a base made of San Marino stone, as a tribute to the ancient land of San Marino. Since then, every first Sunday in September, the Rite of Hospitality is celebrated as part of a great event.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

All rights reserved 2024© Comune di Forlì

Credits: Wizard srl | Privacy & Cookie Policy | Sitemap

ComuneForli_IATHUBdelturismo
IAT HUB
Comune di Forlì
Comune di Forlì

IAT HUB FORLì

Have you found incorrect or missing content?
Send a feedback to the Tourist Information Office of the relevant Municipality. Go to the tourist offices page.

Comune di Bertinoro
Comune di Bertinoro
Comune di Castrocaro Terme e Terra del Sole
Comune di Castrocaro Terme e Terra del Sole
Comune di Civitella di Romagna
Comune di Civitella di Romagna
Comune di Dovadola
Comune di Dovadola
Comune di Forlimpopoli
Comune di Forlimpopoli
Comune di Galeata
Comune di Galeata
Comune di Meldola
Comune di Meldola
Comune di Modigliana
Comune di Modigliana
Comune di Portico e San Benedetto
Comune di Portico e San Benedetto
Comune di Predappio
Comune di Predappio
Comune di Premilcuore
Comune di Premilcuore
Comune di Rocca San Casciano
Comune di Rocca San Casciano
Comune di Santa Sofia
Comune di Santa Sofia
Comune di Tredozio
Comune di Tredozio
Skip to content