Church of Santa Maria

The church of Santa Maria has ancient origins.

Built at the behest of the parish priest Ambrogio Tassinari, it was completed in 1784 thanks to the intervention of masons and stonemasons sent by Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo. The building has a sober façade, but inside it preserves many valuable works. Inside there is a Florentine style wooden crucifix from the XIV century and a beautiful baptismal font from 1450.

Moreover, there is a 16th century painted terracotta bas-relief representing the Virgin of the Tears with Child. The image is considered miraculous after the five hours of weeping that took place on 17 January 1523. In the earthquake of 1661, the image of the Madonna was left intact on a wall that remained intact among the rubble of the old parish church and was later moved to its present location on 26 October 1784.

How to get there: Santa Maria church rises in the historic center of the town.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

All rights reserved 2024© Comune di Forlì

Credits: Wizard srl | Privacy & Cookie Policy | Sitemap

ComuneForli_IATHUBdelturismo
IAT HUB
Comune di Forlì
Comune di Forlì

IAT HUB FORLì

Have you found incorrect or missing content?
Send a feedback to the Tourist Information Office of the relevant Municipality. Go to the tourist offices page.

Comune di Bertinoro
Comune di Bertinoro
Comune di Castrocaro Terme e Terra del Sole
Comune di Castrocaro Terme e Terra del Sole
Comune di Civitella di Romagna
Comune di Civitella di Romagna
Comune di Dovadola
Comune di Dovadola
Comune di Forlimpopoli
Comune di Forlimpopoli
Comune di Galeata
Comune di Galeata
Comune di Meldola
Comune di Meldola
Comune di Modigliana
Comune di Modigliana
Comune di Portico e San Benedetto
Comune di Portico e San Benedetto
Comune di Predappio
Comune di Predappio
Comune di Premilcuore
Comune di Premilcuore
Comune di Rocca San Casciano
Comune di Rocca San Casciano
Comune di Santa Sofia
Comune di Santa Sofia
Comune di Tredozio
Comune di Tredozio
Skip to content